Wednesday 12 February 2014

Week 26 Dish 2: Vegan red velvet cupcakes

LAST OFFICIAL RECIPE!!

I have completed my baking challenge!! I can't believe that it's been 6 whole months since I began. I am very proud of myself. Of course I plan to continue baking but with exams around the corner I'm sure it won't be as often. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my post and I really hope you have enjoyed drooling at/ baking/ eating them!

For my last official recipe to you all (though I am still going to give you 3 more this week) I have baked vegan red velvet cupcakes which are coloured with beetroot instead of food colouring. Perfect for Valentine's day of course! They turned out really yummy but not as red as I hope - though they are a lovely deep red inside. I do think the recipe needs a bit of tweaking though as they did sink after I took them out of the oven. I didn't top them with frosting but here is a recipe for tofu frosting.
Makes 12
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup pureed cooked beetroots (about 2-3 large beetroots)
1/2 cup honey/ agave/ maple syrup
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a food processor process the beetroot, honey, coconut oil, lemon juice and vanilla until completely smooth. Pour this into the dry ingredients and fold until just combined.
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared cup and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting if you are frosting them.
Original recipe: Red velvet cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment